Expanded Format for Entirety of Houston's Regionals... Expanded Expanding?

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
Quite an interesting announcement, though I guess some people saw it coming already.

My guess is that for Regionals, Expanded will be the main format, whereas LC's and Nationals+Worlds will be Standard.

TheStrictNein

Has tried turning it off and on again
Quite an interesting announcement, though I guess some people saw it coming already.

My guess is that for Regionals, Expanded will be the main format, whereas LC's and Nationals+Worlds will be Standard.

I hope. If Worlds/Nats are Expanded, then what would be the point of Standard?

asdjklghty

-------------
I really hope Expanded becomes a thing. It feels very tacked on and just made for the sake of "Ok Magic Fans! Come to our TCG we have something similar to your 'Modern' format!"

Purrloin

I don't really like Expanded. I think creativity flourishes most where there's tight restrictions (Standard) or no restrictions at all (Unlimited). The in-between Expanded just feels like it's there for people who don't want to adapt with rotations.

TokenDuelist

YGO TCG is Cheaper. Fight me.
I don't really like Expanded. I think creativity flourishes most where there's tight restrictions (Standard) or no restrictions at all (Unlimited). The in-between Expanded just feels like it's there for people who don't want to adapt with rotations.

I like it. The way I see it is - it really isn't that people can't adapt. But rather the card game has become so money driven lately that plenty of players quit the game because the rotation can make or break their decks.

This helps players who can't really afford to keep up with the game. From what I've seen - commonly used staples get reprints way more often now. Leaving the only real difference in the game the Pokemon the player uses.

I absolutely welcome more Expanded events because it really helps those players who are on a tight budget.

TheStrictNein

I absolutely welcome more Expanded events because it really helps those players who are on a tight budget.

It helps existing players with a tight budget. For new players, it makes getting into the competitive scene even more expensive when you have to buy 4 year old cards.

4 year old cards that are going to see price hikes with this news.

Buying my Cradily early.

θ Typhlosion

Aspiring Trainer
I just hope that the prices for the old Black and White cards don't become more expensive than they already are in my area.

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
Well, this is interesting. So I am guessing this will be the case for all of Autumn Regionals, maybe even all Regionals.

I really don't like this. Hi again, Laser Bank and N :(

Last edited:

Frosty

Bleh.
umm...pokemon please take a page out of magic and don't focus on extended formats.

Modern is a mess in MTG.

At least have an option to either do standard and extended as their own separate areas at events.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
Well, this is interesting. So I am guessing this will be the case for all of Autumn Regionals, maybe even all Regionals.

I really don't like this. Hi again, Laser Bank and N :(

Confirmed that this is an all-regional thing:

cardgjammer said:
I discovered that this is not a Houston-only matter: ALL Regionals are going Expanded:

Arizona Regional Championships(on Facebook) said:
All regionals will use the expanded format for the entire event. (Both Swiss rounds and top cut, no more switching formats).

Arizona regionals will be at the Phoenix Convention Center on October 3rd and 4th, more details coming soon.

^ Source

Pinecone

A Pinecone on the Beach
I was afraid of Expanded taking over and this is another step closer to that. What is this obsession with the Black and White era of cards?

TurtleLove

Aspiring Trainer
This is the worst news ever. What is the point in even having a rotation?! This is just going to become just as bad as MTG. The rotation helps keep the format fresh and clean. Now its just going to be stale and lame. Way to go!

orthusaku

Tired Trainer
I like it. The way I see it is - it really isn't that people can't adapt. But rather the card game has become so money driven lately that plenty of players quit the game because the rotation can make or break their decks.

This helps players who can't really afford to keep up with the game. From what I've seen - commonly used staples get reprints way more often now. Leaving the only real difference in the game the Pokemon the player uses.

Well my wallet is going to take a hit and all new players wallets since they have to buy 5 year old cards now.

Gengar master

shiny Pokémon bait
Advanced Member
This is the worst news ever. What is the point in even having a rotation?! This is just going to become just as bad as MTG. The rotation helps keep the format fresh and clean. Now its just going to be stale and lame. Way to go!
I agree Standard helps for new decks to emerge in a new format. I feel like we will be seeing some similar decks with some new cards added.

squiggleblorg

Aspiring Trainer
this is silly (in my opinion at least), with the amount of lock cards in the format and coming in Ancient Origins expanded will give players the ability to make decks which lock their opponent out from doing practically anything, that along with so many other things will make it a very broken format, cards are designed with rotation in mind, right now people are abusing skyfield/colress for huge draw support but they were most likely only intended to see play together for this short time. I feel like expanded was supposed to stay as side events or day 2's of some competitions, not find its way into the mainstream.

TheStrictNein

this is silly (in my opinion at least), with the amount of lock cards in the format and coming in Ancient Origins expanded will give players the ability to make decks which lock their opponent out from doing practically anything, that along with so many other things will make it a very broken format, cards are designed with rotation in mind, right now people are abusing skyfield/colress for huge draw support but they were most likely only intended to see play together for this short time. I feel like expanded was supposed to stay as side events or day 2's of some competitions, not find its way into the mainstream.

Exactly. I don't expect any deck that isn't a lock deck to have any chance of succeeding.