TCG Fakes Faking Resources and Help - How to Make Your Own Pokemon Cards!

aschefield101

is behind you !
They won't be Kang. Currently I have no intention of doing anymore with SM, most of them are far too complex (textures mainly) to make look decent and I refuse to release them looking blurry or clearly ripped to bits.

So yeah, for now there's CG's versions unless someone else wants to make their own :)

I've hit a "stale" point in faking again as well, I just can't stick to one thing anymore and it's become a chore rather than fun. So we'll see if I even do anything of substance anymore.

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Here's a runic font I just made that's a little bit closer (although still not identical) to the one used on Ancient Mew than the placeholder fonts we've been using:

Spacing needs to be adjusted manually in Photoshop's Character Panel. (I'm still not sure how to set it within my font-making software... ><)

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
For anyone who downloaded Space Cat Runes yesterday or this morning, please uninstall the font and replace with the newest update. There was an error where the "Z" glyph included a wide space and a period, but it's been fixed. Also, don't forget to check the readme file for important info!

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
They won't be Kang. Currently I have no intention of doing anymore with SM, most of them are far too complex (textures mainly) to make look decent and I refuse to release them looking blurry or clearly ripped to bits.

So yeah, for now there's CG's versions unless someone else wants to make their own :)

I've hit a "stale" point in faking again as well, I just can't stick to one thing anymore and it's become a chore rather than fun. So we'll see if I even do anything of substance anymore.

That's a shame. That means I can't plan out a set with the Sun and Moon Blanks.

Edwin Santander

Aspiring Trainer
Waiting patiently for a forger who can rip the background boxes textures from red GX cards, i really want to make an hyper rare guzzlord (shadow rare)!

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
A subtle glittery overlay based on that seen on certain Japanese Neo-era Shining Pokémon (like Shining Mew and Gyarados) as well as Japanese e-Series Crystal Body Pokémon cards. I've tried making this style of overlay several times, but it's been a while and I think this is my closest yet.

another_jpneo_shining_crystal_overlay_by_icycatelf-dbt1z7z.png

Paste over the entire card and scale as needed. Blending modes may vary, but Color Dodge 100% seems to look fine on most cards (if the card is too dark and the overlay doesn't show up well, two layers -- Screen 50% under Color Dodge 50% -- may work). Further adjustments may be necessary.

Applied example (w/ galaxy foil):
WEsOpUp.png

Last edited:

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Give your fakes some fake flare with this fake foil! (Recommended only if you want your fakes to look really fake.)

sticker_foil_example_by_icycatelf-dbyhxgf.jpg
sticker_foil_example2_by_icycatelf-dbyi1jg.jpg

sticker_foil_by_icycatelf-dbyhxg9.png

Multiply 40% under Color Dodge 100% should work fine most of the time, but darker backgrounds may require tweaking. Scale as necessary.

Last edited:

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer
Yes! Once the other types are uploaded, I can finally get practicing my image-based fakes again. I just need a few more blanks to go.

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
This foil's a bit more tame than my previous:

sticker_foil2_example_by_icycatelf-dbyl5pf.jpg
sticker_foil2_example2_by_icycatelf-dbyp5at.jpg

mosaic_holosheet_by_icycatelf-dbyp0s9.png

Multiply 40% under Color Dodge 100% should work fine most of the time, but darker backgrounds may require tweaking. Scale as necessary.

Last edited:

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
It's time to spiffy up the OP for the new year:

- Those revamped XY BREAK blanks made back in August have now replaced the old stuff! They must have gotten lost or something.
- Neko's Space Cat Runes have mysteriously appeared in the OP! Strange I know, but I don't remember putting them there.
- You're gonna need a pair of sunglasses, because Neko's new holosheets have turned the shine dial straight to max! Now with Subtle Overlay, Mosaic and Oblongs! (Gotta be technically accurate.)
- The "Circular Foil" is now properly listed as the "Galaxy Foil". Funnily enough, that was also the foil that Asche revamped last month without telling anyone.
- Asche has defied all expectations and has begun unleashing new SM-era blanks! You probably want the Trainers and symbol sheet too.
- Most importantly, the XY-era PTCG rulebook is now the SM-era rulebook! More mechanic-y stuff, more rules.
- All references to Skype has been nuked, replaced with the vastly superior Discord.​

We're also looking to update our Faking Critic list! If you're interested, fill out the following form and post it in the thread:

Username: @
Specialties:
Known Eras:
Forum PM or Discord (Tag: xxxx)​

Last edited:

Kavross

Aspiring Trainer
Artists for Fake Cards

One of the major parts to creating a fake card is choosing the right art. Generally you'll need to search around for a good piece. Then, you'll need to ask that artist for permission, and then only if they allow it, can you use the piece. However, sometimes asking for such permission can be a bit tedious, or perhaps you just want to make a card quickly and don't want to wait. Eitherway, we have compiled a list of artists who have given permission to the faking community to use their art on fake cards. Remember, however, that you must credit the artist on any fake card you make.

Terms of Use
- You must always credit the artist on the card, and out of courtesy you should credit the artist in the post showcasing your fake. On PB, we will delete any fake cards that do not properly credit the artist.
- Any art used may not be modified in any way aside from cropping or resizing the piece so it fits in your art box, unless given permission by the artist.
- It is illegal to make a profit from fake cards anyway, but you also can't make a profit of art made by these artists (or anyone really without their permission).
- Artists like it when you let them know that you used their art. As such, letting them know would be a nice idea.
- If you are posting your fake cards on PB, remember to follow the rules listed here.

Pokemon Artists
- Xous54 [DeviantArt]**
- ishmam [DeviantArt]
- tatanRG [DeviantArt]
- steffenka [PokeBeach]***
- nintendo-jr [DeviantArt]
- Twime77 [DeviantArt]
- Togechu [DeviantArt]
- DrManiacal [DeviantArt]
- double o squirtle [PokeBeach]
- CuteSkitty [DeviantArt]
- scattered mind [PokeBeach]
- little-ampharos [DeviantArt]**
- BigfootAUS [PokeBeach][DeviantArt]
- hiko-kujaku [DeviantArt]
- X-Alex [DeviantArt]
- Metagross101 [DeviantArt]* **

Background Artists
- paulthepirateking [DeviantArt]

Free Stock Images ^
- Texture Ninja [link]
- Unsplash [link]
- Pixabay [link]

*Searching through the artist's gallery may be required.
**This artist's art often is missing a background, so we suggest you add a free stock background you find online, or a background of one of our listed artists, behind the background-less art.
***Some modification of the art using blending modes (e.g. Screen and Overlay modes) may be needed for better quality on a card. The artist has given permission for this type of modification.
^This compilation of images have been released under a free-to-use liscence. You don't have to credit these sources, although it is good courtesy to do so.

Hey y'all, I'm willing to do art for cards. Just let me know what you need (For CAC I probably would only be able to do 1 or two for that month), I want to make new pieces and I appreciate the exposure

Nekoban Ryo

aka icycatelf
Time for a long-overdue update. My former TCG Symbols font was based on Energy symbols as seen on Energy cards, but the official text symbols are a bit more... square-shaped? Anyway, I've tweaked the symbols a bit to more-closely resemble those. I also added Prism Star and enlarged the symbols yet again. Don't forget to add the white stroke around SP symbols! (NOTE: Depending on the font size, some symbols may need faux bold.)

Last edited:

MrOptimistic

Aspiring Trainer
Just curious as to if anyone uses Gimp instead of anything else?
I'm have a little difficulty with font sizes, I would love some help if anyone can help.

After having a transparent scan over my blank, I cant seem to get much of the text to line up due to sizes. I've followed a couple of guides at least for the font itself, but the guides are all for Photoshop. So my questions really is, does anyone use Gimp and know the right sizes etc :) Thanks for reading.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
I'm have a little difficulty with font sizes, I would love some help if anyone can help.

After having a transparent scan over my blank, I cant seem to get much of the text to line up due to sizes. I've followed a couple of guides at least for the font itself, but the guides are all for Photoshop. So my questions really is, does anyone use Gimp and know the right sizes etc :) Thanks for reading.

We do have a few GIMP users, so they might be able to be of more help than me. I actually don't use PhotoShop either - I use Corel PhotoPaint - so I have had to figure out my own font sizes. They really depend on the blank - you'll find that Asche's recent SM blanks will have a different font size than Snoops' XY blanks or Blui's HGSS blanks. Are you finding that the fonts are the right height but too wide, or the right width but too high? You actually need to squish the fonts a little bit so that they are correct, as in, when the font is at the correct height, you then should reduce the width (using your typical resize tool), condensing the text so it is pixel-to-pixel accurate to the scan.

If you haven't seen it already, you should definitely check out @Jabberwock's DIY Font Guide (using scans), which is applicable for any and every typical photo-editing software. If you're still having difficult getting those placements perfect, I'd recommend providing a screenshot just so we know what you've been trying to do, so we can give advice accordingly.

Kangaflora

Aspiring Trainer

I happen to use GIMP, but only for the attack's effects. I have to copy and pate the accented é though which is a pain, though luckily I know the short cuts. For the attack's effects, the normal size font on the Sun and Moon Blanks would be 28, though if the effect is longer, I use a smaller size of 20 or 18. The nearest font for the effects would be Gill Sans MT with slight hinting (if used in GIMP). I also use it for the names in Gill Sans (Bold) though I reduce the the kerning of the name (spaces between the letters) by 2.0. Font Size I use for the name is 52. I use Vegur for the classification, height and weight (size 18), and lastly, I use Sanvito Pro for the PokéDex Information. The fonts I use are close enough for my cards to pass off as real cards.

I have tested this when I created the Abra, Kadabra and Alakazam cards on my Deviantart page.

For the pictures, I use Online Photo Editor as I know how to make the background either bigger or smaller to match the Ken Sugimori style artwork.

One piece of advice: When using a Pokémon illustrated by Ken Sugimori, try using a realistic looking photograph, or 3D Lasers for Psychic types (type Psychic Background on Google for them) if possible. This makes the picture stand out better on your card.

MrOptimistic

Aspiring Trainer
Okay thank you bbninjas and Kangaflora. I'll keep looking around for Gimp users :)

One other thing for now, does anyone have a resource for the word "Stadium, Item, Supporter"?
I'm using it for a sideways custom card and cant seem to find them. Thanks :)

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
There's no specific stadium/item/supporter resource available at the moment, but providing you have the blank creator's permission (@aschefield101, most likely), you'd be able to use your lasso/marquee tool to cut out the relevant icon from the original blank, using clone stamping to patch up. It's how most of us would make small edits to blanks like that. ;P