Finished Mafia XLVIII: Motfia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draskk

Blast From The Past
Main person I want to address here is @GekkisaiDaiNi, since I think you're in big need of a playstyle change. Your playstyle gets you lynched here, and almost does on those other sites you were talking about. It clearly doesn't work, so do something about it. Especially when you're a necessary PR.
Believe it or not, it isn't my fault scum can manipulate you all to believe my town meta is scummy and create mislynches off of it. That's something you need to change; not me. On one site it made me essentially king of the town and every other townie followed me to an easy win. On the other people realized it was just how I played on town and stopped pushing my lynch.

GG everyone.

GrandPanacea

Thread Necromancer
Advanced Member
Woo, I'm part of the winning team!

I definitely had fun. Thanks to everyone! I'll play again some time, and hopefully I'll have improved!

Mariano11887

Goalkeeper
Whoa!! I wanted to scream "JADE IS LYING!!!" when he said that Nin killed TE. I was really hoping Ninjamezor to do the same, but unfortunately never happened.
I'm really surprised of simsands, I read him as town during the entire game.

Congratulations to the Mafia for winning the game.

JadeGemTM

In terms of water, we have water
Forum Mod
GG everyone! Had tons of fun and I'm glad I could actually play this time xD

Was great to see Firo join the fray, and also fun to see Jade actually stick around for once! Try to do that as town next time. :UUU
hehe, no worries, I don't plan on being inactive any time in the future ^w^

Expect Mafia 49 to be up very soon!

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Good game town! It was great to have sims back and see GP and Epic play; you both better stick around! ;) I actually quite enjoyed playing, and was super glad to see activity for the first few days from pretty much everyone. ^.^

I'm pretty sure the 4 scum wouldn't have happened had PMJ realised his oversight regarding the numbers. Heh.

TOTAL_EPICNESS

it wouldnt let me put morse code
It’s unfortunate we lost but still GG to everyone good plays by scum and some...questionable plays by me and some other townies

Mariano11887

Goalkeeper
I never liked the idea of the massive claim because it helps Mafia more than the Town IMO. That way they can choose the most powerful roles to kill at night. But well, I was already out of the game by that moment.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I am working on the postgame, but it won't be done for a couple days. Rest assured, it's coming.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
EPILOGUE

tl;dr Windra confronts Tsomu again about her birthday.

Spoilered for your convenience, so you don't have to read it if you don't want to.

Windra was feeling pretty good about herself. She'd gotten away with stealing a piece of her own cake. But there was still something that was bothering her, so she headed back into the cafeteria, where Tsomu was sitting at a table alone. His face and eyes were red, streaked with tears. Windra felt bad for him and almost--almost considered confessing, but then she remembered that giving up was for chumps and kept her mouth shut about that.

Seeing him so upset almost made her turn around and walk back out again. It wasn't like he was forthcoming earlier, and Windra didn't think he was going to be in a mood to talk right now either, but she wasn't about to give him a choice. The man knew something he shouldn't have, and she wasn't going to leave until she found out how.

She approached his table. He looked up at her briefly, then quickly tried wiping his eyes in a failed attempt to disguise the fact he'd been crying. "What do you want?" he spat, not looking at her. "Come to make fun of me?"

Windra sighed, hoping that he wasn't going to make this difficult for her. "You didn't answer me. How did you know it was my birthday, Tsomu? No one knew it was my birthday." A moment of realization as she remembered that that technically wasn't true. "Did Safiri tell you?"

"No," he said simply. "We got a call from some guy after your match. He asked us to make you a cake since your birthday was coming up, and he thought you could use some cheering up. Oh yeah," he added, remembering, "hold on. He left a message for you too." He rose from his seat and disappeared into the kitchen for a few moments before coming out with a piece of paper. "He said it was kind of a long one, so he had me write it down. It was weird. Here."

Windra took the piece of paper, scanned its message. She moved a hand to her mouth in disbelief at the contents of the note. She was almost certain of who'd dictated it, but she was very hesitant to believe. "Tsomu, who sent this?" she asked, equal parts fear, hope, and anger in her voice.

"I told you, some guy," Tsomu answered with a shrug. "He didn't give me a name. Once he finished talking and I read it back to him, he said that it was good. I told him there was no one here named Evelyn, but he assured me that I should give the note to you, and that you'd know what it meant. Then he thanked me and hung up." A pause. "Who's Evelyn?"

"Bastard," she muttered, gripping the paper tightly in a fist. "Just who does he think he is?!" she screamed, beginning to pace back and forth, gesturing with the note as she rambled. "Does he think he can just pull this kind of shit and expect everything to be fine?!"

"I... I don't know?" Tsomu offered, not having the slightest clue what Windra was going on about.

All right, let's get down to brass tacks. Before I get into anything else, I need to say sorry (again). There should not have been four scum in this setup, but for some reason I thought four was 25% of twelve and just assumed I was right, up until the end of day one when I realized oh shit, it's mylo. Oops. That was entirely my fault and I am really sorry that this game was over at the speed of light because of it. It looked like things could have gone on a little longer, but scum won again thanks to inactivity. Great.

Player/role analysis follows, listed in alphabetical order for your convenience.

1. bbninjas as Taikyu

You are Taikyu, and you are a Dirty Stinking Cake Thief. At seventy years old, you are far and away the eldest competitor. Your massive height and strange (lack of) clothing made everyone wary of you, but that quickly changed. You and Frisk have become unlikely friends, and you've taken on the task of exorcising her. Though your first attempt was unsuccessful, you have decades of experience as a sage under your belt, so you're confident that you'll find a solution soon enough. Eating Windra's cake was a moment of weakness that you feel great shame for. You really should just turn yourself in.

Ability: Prismatic Laser
Once per game on any night you may PM me to use this ability. You will perform the factional kill and your kill will break through any protection on your target.

Ability: Sleep Talk
Once per night you may PM me the name of any player and a ten-word message. If the message is approved, it will be sent to that player.

Win Condition: Dirty Stinking Cake Thieves comprise half or more of all remaining players

11safe
You are Safiri Kiter, and you are a Patient Competitor. You are an employee of Diamant Industries, the host and benefactor of this tournament. You are Diamant's second-in-command and most valued assistant, overseeing general operations and making sure everything is running smoothly. In this tournament, your job is simply to ensure that DNA and data collection goes off smoothly to ensure the success of Version Zero. You have no interest in cake, or the game that Tsomu insists on playing, but you're sticking around to make your sisters happy. Damn promises.

Ability: Sleep Talk
Once per night you may PM me the name of any player and a ten-word message. If the message is approved, it will be sent to that player.

Win Condition: All Dirty Stinking Cake Thieves brought to justice

bb played a pretty good game while he was among the living, acting like a normal dude the way God intended. People should remember that being scum doesn't mean lying 100% of the time. I will scumread my partners without a moment's hesitation if I think they are acting scummy, and so should you. For some reason the scum team decided that bussing bb was the play instead of going for the win, which I will never ever understand. Why make things harder for yourselves?

Also he sent a message to scumbuddy simsands on n1 and I have no idea why. It had no bearing on the game at all. simsands mentioned it in passing and that was literally it.

2. GekkisaiDaiNi as Cody

You are Cody Kwan, and you are a Patient Competitor. A trainer from the Alola region, you've been around Water Pokemon all your life after a traumatic experience made you deathly afraid of Fire-type Pokemon. You don't even like cake, so you're not sure why you were accused in the first place. Nothing to do but try and convince Tsomu of your innocence.

Ability: Wide Guard
Once per night you may PM me the name of any player and protect them from death during this night.

I honestly have no comment on the whole Lord vs Gekki thing. I didn't read a bit of it. :D His play reminds me of Camoclone's, except Gekki posts a gojillion times more and isn't nearly as divisive in his posting. He had bb pegged as scum immediately on his death which ended up being right on the money. Anyway, he was hugely inactive and only barely met the posting quota. :] As far as whether or not his style needs to change, I agree with him that it doesn't. People adapted to Camoclone's aggressive playstyle and I have no doubt that they will adapt to Gekki's too.

3. GrandPanacea as Scarlet

You are Scarlet Jung, and you are a Dirty Stinking Cake Thief. A Pokemon Ranger from Sinnoh, you're fairly accomplished for your age, though you've still got a bit of new to shake off. You were delighted to find another Ranger here, and the two of you became fast friends. There was a time when you thought you might be more than that, but for some reason she has stopped showing any interest in you. What happened? You ate some of Windra's cake as sort of a revenge on her. Was it petty? Sure. But she deserved it!...And the cake did look really good.

Ability: Sweet Scent
If no one targets you at night, you will receive a random player's role PM at the start of each day.

Win Condition: Dirty Stinking Cake Thieves comprise half or more of all remaining players

12safe
You are Rose Bersalk, and you are a Patient Competitor. As a Rank 10 Ranger, you've gone above and beyond to protect the people and Pokemon of Johto. For the last few months, you've been romantically involved with your partner Pokemon, a secret that, if revealed, could have life-threatening consequences. Scarlet showed some promise as a potential human mate, but that unfortunately didn't pan out. Too bad. You think that someone stealing Windra's birthday cake is reprehensible and cowardly.

You have no abilities other than your vote.

Firo was pretty obviously scum from very early on. He was new, but he wasn't scumhunting like new townies do. They at least try to make a token effort, which Firo was not. All he did was post fluff (by the way, saying your post is fluff does not make it okay) and sheep other people's opinions. It was also his vote that killed Aqua, which was important because it was, again, another sheep vote. How to improve: actually play :x When you post, make it count. If you are gonna post fluff, include something of relevance because you will get accused of active lurking by anyone trying to iso you. Thanks for joining anyway buddy :D

4. Jadethepokemontrainer as Ruby

You are Ruby Erthgrand, and you are a Dirty Stinking Cake Thief. You are an employee of Diamant Industries, the host and benefactor of this tournament. As head of PR and marketing, your job include getting the word out about Diamant Industries and handling the company's social media accounts. You're serving as the announcer of this tournament, building hype and bringing in sales. You're a little ashamed that you took a piece of Windra's cake, but it looked soooo good, and it tasted even better! It was totally worth it, though.

Ability: Zen Mode
You appear as a Patient Competitor when your alignment is investigated.

Ability: Extrasensory
Once per night you may PM me the name of any player and learn who targeted that player during this night.

10safe
You are Kiria Gramarye, and you are a Patient Competitor. As a child, you did a brief stint in Team Rocket before realizing they were jerks and leaving. Since then, you have traveled the world and made countless friends and sharpening your skills as a Trainer. Windra affectionately calls you 'Mom' despite you barely being in your thirties. Guess you've got that mature look down. You're proud of yourself for resisting eating Windra's cake. Probably would have gone straight to your hips anyway.

Ability: Telekinesis
Once per night you may PM me the name of any player and learn who targeted that player during this night.

He pretty much played it cool the whole game, following bb's instructions in the scum chat and picking the correct townie to frame for T_E's murder. He did do a couple things that stood out to me as scummy though; the first was not voting NinJamezor when he came forward with his fake results. If you are sure you caught scum and it's lylo, you should not be afraid to cast a vote. If they really are scum, the scum are not going to quickhammer them, and if he's town then he should be lynched under LAL anyway. Things may have gone different if NinJamezor actually would have defended himself but I guess that's too much to ask.

5. The Last Shaymin as Frisk

You are Frisk Achra, and you are a Patient Competitor. A young girl currently staying in Sinnoh, you have spent the last year sharing your consciousness with your brother Chara, who met an untimely end. Sometimes he steals control of your body, causing you to do and say things you wouldn't dream of; this has caused much strain in your relationship. While you've made progress over the last couple days since your match, there's still a long way to go. You are proud that you were able to stop Chara from digging into Windra's cake, but you have a feeling you're going to be one of the first suspects.

Ability: Mind Reader
Once per night you may PM me the name of any player and learn who that player targeted during this night.

When TLS claimed to be a seer I had to double check to make sure that I didn't accidentally make a second seer like I did in my first game. And sure enough, no, I didn't mess up, TLS just straight up lied about his role and I have no idea why. No one seemed to pressure him for results, which could have gone a long way towards getting him lynched. Would like to see a bit less fluffy garbage from him in the future.

6. Lord o da rings as Esmeralda

You are Esmeralda Rayvenflight, and you are a Patient Competitor. You are an employee of Diamant Industries, the host and benefactor of this tournament. A new...hire, we'll say, your physical appearance has been meticulously planned from the ground up in order to draw people in. Since you're the referee for the tournament, you are front and center in every match, helping ensure you do just that. You aren't offended that Tsomu is accusing you of stealing some cake, since he's accusing everyone. You are curious about its taste, though, since you have never actually had cake before.

Ability: Destiny Bond
Once per game you may PM me the name of any player. Upon your death, their role PM will be revealed to the town.

Again, I did not keep track of the exchange between Lord and Gekki. I was kinda hoping to see a Lord lynch on d2 to get some mileage out of her ability, but alas it was not to be. She had her heart set on Mariano (NinJamezor), and if she'd died, maybe the game would have turned out differently since her target would have been cleared and not totally quickhammered.

7. Mariano11887 and NinJamezor as Quayle

You are Quayle Valentine, and you are a Patient Competitor. After Team Galactic destroyed your hometown, you joined Team Galactic with the intent of destroying them from the inside, but that effort ended in failure. After you nearly killed Rose's Gardevoir in your match against her, your fiancee left you and Nye, your childhood friend, shunned you. You have sworn to change, however, and prove to both women you aren't a monster. You saw the glances you got when Tsomu first accused the group of stealing cake. You know they think you're guilty, but you're going to prove your innocence.

You have no abilities other than your vote.

Mariano hardly posted anything, but took the high road and asked to get subbed out. His replacement did jack shit and the scum quickhammered him for the game.

8. NinjaPenguin as Thresher

You are Thresher Fessco, and you are a Patient Competitor. You're a simple fisherman from Pacifidlog Town, and your unique accent frequently has the ladies swooning. You've spent much of your adult life on the seas in search of Mirage Island in the hopes that the Liechi Berries found there could save your ailing father, but he died before you could find it. You don't particularly care who ate Windra's cake, but it makes you smile that everyone is having fun together... even if it is against their will.

Ability: Swift Swim
If you are lynched, you will die at the end of the night instead of immediately.

Thanks to some quick thinking, NP altered his role to appear as completely lynchproof, thus cementing his town status and finally getting the others off his back. Turns out it was all a ruse, and he wasn't lynchproof at all. This role serves to bait out scum roles for a night, keeping the rest of the power roles safe (not that there were many in this setup), and also possibly taking the night kill as well.

9. quakingpunch73 as Lenny

You are Lenneh "Lenny" Beckett, and you are a Patient Competitor. A Kindler from Hoenn, you take a fast and hard approach to battling, not giving your opponents any room to breathe, much less form strategies against you. As something of a father figure to the others, sometimes people come to you for advice, and sometimes you give it whether they want to hear it or not. You were a little annoyed to see so many people stick their grubby paws into Windra's cake, but in the grand scheme of things, maybe Tsomu is overreacting. Again.

Ability: Nasty Plot
You appear as a Dirty Stinking Cake Thief when your alignment is investigated.

quaking was MIA for most of day one and ended up getting killed night one. RIP. Nothing else to say.

10. simsands as Windra

You are Windra Wallace, and you are a Dirty Stinking Cake Thief. You're just a small-town girl living in a lonely world, doing whatever you can to survive. After you had your heart broken, you have a jaded view of yourself and relationships in general. No one can cage you, and Scarlet's just gonna have to deal with it. After seeing the cake Tsomu made, you couldn't help but sneak a piece of it. After all, who would suspect you of stealing her own cake? It's the perfect crime!

Ability: Spore
Once per night you may PM me the name of any player and stop them from using a night action during this night.

9safe
You are Alex Croft, and you are a Patient Competitor. A young man of considerable wealth from Unova, you look down on most of the other players. You have had the best private training money can buy, and the fact that you are here in this tournament of champions proves it has worked. Some of the other competitors have tried befriending you, and you really couldn't care less. You're only here to win. You took great offense to being accused of stealing Windra's cake. As if you would let that commoner's cake past your lips.

Ability: Glare
Once per night you may PM me the name of any player and stop them from using a night action during this night.

lol Windra stole her own cake

No one suspected simsands of being scum at all throughout the entire game; by the time d3 rolled around he was seen as clear by everyone. It was because of him that I knew the town was never going to win; even if the other three had gotten lynched, with some smart play, simsands would have easily brought his team to victory.

11. TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK as Jethro

You are Jethro Duffy, and you are a Patient Competitor. You and Prince, your Umbreon and best friend, have been through a lot over the years. From suffering from second-degree burns to losing an eye, you're surprisingly optimistic for someone who's had to deal with as much as you have. One day at a time - that's your motto. Though you're playing it cool, you are hoping this game gets finished quickly because despite being half destroyed, that cake still looks phenomenal and you can't wait to get a piece of it.

Ability: Last Resort
You can't be lynched by majority vote, but you will die if you have any votes on you at all when someone else is lynched.

You cannot imagine how hard I cringed when Aqua up and revealed his role with basically no provocation whatsoever.

This role is effectively lynchproof if you know what you're doing. Aqua could have been virtually immortal and forced the scum to deal with him at some point down the line, only to smack their heads in frustration once they realize all they had to do was cast a vote on him. Unfortunately, he revealed himself way to early (that is to say, at all), and completely ruined the surprise. ANGERY >:O

Once the scum realized how easy it was to kill him, they did just that while bussing bbninjas for NO REASON WHATSOEVER. ANGERY. >:O

12. TOTAL_EPICNESS as Kyro

You are Kyro Remington, and you are a Patient Competitor. You're fascinated with Pokemon fossils, having studied them for as long as you can remember. As the youngest competitor, the others sometimes forgot that you are also a tournament champion, but after your battle with Jethro, you can rest assured that no one will ever doubt your skill as a trainer ever again. You were saddened at seeing Windra's cake so violated - it looked really tasty...

Ability: Ancient Power
Once per night you may PM me the name of any player and learn their alignment, but since you're just a kid, your results may not be accurate.

Anyone who knows me (which is maybe like two of you) knows I dislike straight seers and try to do _something_ to make them less OP. In this setup, the cop was actually sane. To mess with the results, I added both a miller and a godfather.

Of course, T_E had absolutely no clue what I meant by "your results may not be accurate" and thought I meant that the results would change nightly - so he tried scanning someone twice in a row, perhaps expecting the result to change. I clarified that was never gonna happen and he chose to scan Firo the same night he was killed - rip in peace.

Overall T_E was just too new, but he tried and that's all I can ask for. Stick around and you'll improve in no time, I'm sure.

As I was figuring out the flavor, I realized where I wanted to put this game in my story. As such, it made perfect sense for me to exclude Eldan and Nye from the game, but I'd already had Nye's role written by the time I decided on it. She was going to be Ruby's safe claim, but I switched her with Kiria since they both have Pokemon that can learn Telekinesis.

You are Nye Wright, and you are a Patient Competitor. You were born into wealth, but ran away after your parents revealed they were divorcing. You eventually settled in Celestic Town and befriended Quayle, but went your separate ways after Celestic Town was destroyed. Fashion has always been important to you, a fact that Eldan absolutely loves to needle you about. Of course you didn't steal Windra's cake, but you understand that it's your word against everyone else's. You can rest assured, however, that your hands are quite clean.

Ability: Telekinesis

Eldan never had a role PM written, sorry Jabberwock D:

So that's the game. Again, I am sorry for the scum blunder. I still can't believe I failed math that hard... but enough of that. It's time for the Golden PMJ Awards! You guys didn't forget about them and have been awarding them every single game since their inception, right? :> :> :>

Golden PMJ Awards for Mafia 48 go to:

@bbninjas for not ruining the graveyard's fun and also for outing himself as scum literally in his very first post
@simsands for being scum MVP
@TeamAqua4Life #HEYNICK for also being scum MVP
@Jabberwock for not only not playing, but not even having his character in the game
@Mariano11887 for subbing out properly

Last, but most definitely not least, this wouldn't be motfia without me plugging my story (again). It's regrettable that I couldn't inject more flavor into this game, but the story proper has tons of ass-kickery that I'm sure you will enjoy reading. Some of the role PMs hint at stuff that happens in future chapters - the epilogue in particular. Who in the seven hells is Evelyn, and why is Windra so mad about whoever sent the note? What did it say, and who sent it?? Which of Nye's cherries did Eldan pop at the start of the story? What did Windra do where Scarlet felt like she deserved her cake eaten? And how did Frisk come back into her own body? All these questions and more will be answered, but you'll have to read the story to find out.

Mysteries of the Forgotten Island (Version Zero)

Shout outs to Forum Games staff for letting me back in the driver's seat for what very well may be the last time. Fact is, I don't think I have it in me to host a game anymore - with work, theatre, writing, and other forum responsibilities, putting this on top of it was almost too much - another reason for keeping things simple this time around. It was a good idea in theory, but a combination of new players and bad choices on my part made it suffer. Still, I hope you guys enjoyed yourselves. I've had a blast hosting all the games I did, whether alone or with cool-ass co-hosts (ps I am still mad about The Blank Game, bippa, you jerk), and I am thankful that I've always had great players ready to get their faces rocked at the next cool PMJ game. I won't say never again, but at this point it's very unlikely I'll be seeking another hosting spot. I have hosted tons of games on this site, so if you'd like to pick my brain in terms of balance or role ideas, just drop me a PM. I'd be more than happy to help. Unless you're bippa. CULTS ARE NOT OKAY, BIPPA.

And with that, Mafia 48 is now closed. I'll see you next game for the last time. Please don't vig kill me.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Someone get PMJ fired so he can host more mafia games! :L

Also he sent a message to scumbuddy simsands on n1 and I have no idea why. It had no bearing on the game at all. simsands mentioned it in passing and that was literally it.
Ahaha, I was wondering whether simsands would post about it in-thread and run with it, actually. (For the record, I sent in "You’re a target - watch your back.") I didn't really have a good reason to use it on anyone else, so the idea was that if there was discussion about simsands being a target, it should make him look even more inno when I flip. That blew over anyways...

Status
Not open for further replies.