Ruling Mimikyu and Meteor Tempest

PrimePokeDaddy

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
At deck testing we had a discussion of the Copycat attack using when Dusk Mane Necrozma GX used Meteor Tempest. Am I right that Mimikyu could use Copycat but would have to have 3 total energy rather than just the P and C energy required for Copycat in order to comply with the discard requirement? You still have to follow the energy discard rule right (not like Clefairy base set Metronome)?

Are there any other interesting issues you've seen with Mimikyu's Copycat? I've been trying it in a Malamar deck but it seems inconsistent (or I haven't learned to use it correctly).

tiagorezende

Aspiring Trainer
I don't think so. I believe Mimikyu can Copycat - Meteor Tempest discarding only two energy, because that is the cost of "Copycat". The discard requirement of Meteor Tempest would be applied after de damage, so, Mimikyu would discard as many energies it has in it, up to 3.

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
I don't think so. I believe Mimikyu can Copycat - Meteor Tempest discarding only two energy, because that is the cost of "Copycat". The discard requirement of Meteor Tempest would be applied after de damage, so, Mimikyu would discard as many energies it has in it, up to 3.
You are correct

PokeMedic

Don't talk to me or my Pokemon ever again
Articles Staff
There are some cards that would specify needing the energy printed on the card of the attack, like Marshadow GX 80/147 and it's ability Shadow Hunt. Copycat doesn't specify and conditions of doing the attack and instead just lets you use it. You must follow through on discarding up to 3 energy though. So if you had two, discard 2. There area few precedents that set this, I'd have to find them.

It's also worth noting that the attack says 'opponents Pokemon', so if the Pokemon that attacked you was sent back to the bench, the language on the card still allows you to use that attack.

The Evil Sneasel

Aspiring Trainer
Mimikyu can copycat anything except for GX attacks and your opponent must attack last turn to activate copycat. With the Mimikyu and DMN GX mimikyu must have 3 energies to use copycat since your opponent used Meteor Tempest. Remember Mimikyu can only use the attack that your opponent used last turn.

TES

Latte1504

Aspiring Trainer
Mimikyu can copycat anything except for GX attacks and your opponent must attack last turn to activate copycat. With the Mimikyu and DMN GX mimikyu must have 3 energies to use copycat since your opponent used Meteor Tempest. Remember Mimikyu can only use the attack that your opponent used last turn.

TES
This is wrong. As stated above, you only need 2 energies, because the cost of Copycat is 2; however, if you have more than 2 energies, you must discard all 3.

This is similar to Zoroark BLW vs Reshiram BLW. Zoroark can copy Blue Flare for a DCE, and then will not have to discard any energy because the Zoro has no fire energies. Unlike this interaction however, Mimikyu needs to discard.

PrimePokeDaddy

Aspiring Trainer
Advanced Member
@PokeMedic you said there were precedents on this issue, is that something I can search for?

This is the issue we were running into disagreement over, and we now have two saying one thing and two saying another :). This comparison to abilities that allow you to use attacks so long as you have the same required energy came up. And it is also complicated because Pokemon also knows how to say that you can ignore the energy discard requirements, because that is part of Clefairy's (Base Set) Metronome language.

My thought on these Copycat type attacks (Foul Play, Trickster GX, Watch and Learn) is that they are intended to allow you to use the same attack without the same energy costs, therefore you apply any energy requirements or discard costs as they apply to Mimikyu. So for example if the attack says discard three energy, as applied to Mimikyu that is usually only two because Mimikyu's energy requirement is only the P and C. If the attack says discard two Fire, then Mimikyu doesn't discard any (unless he uses Fire as the one colorless energy, then one fire is discarded).

DashKing

Aspiring Trainer
@PrimePokeDaddy , the Mimikyu only has to discard the 2 energy on it. This is the same as the Zoroark BLW Reshiram thing brought up earlier. This has also been dealt with with Zoroark BREAK. There have been times where I copy a Meteor Tempest or an All Cells Burn, and only discard the 1 dark.

deleter40

Aspiring Trainer
Declare an attack -> check the energy cost for that attack (1 psychic and 1 colorless) -> calculate damage and apply the effects of the attack (copying opp's attack, which includes discarding energies). I think that's how it goes. Anyway the discarding effect is similar to using Hau "draw 3 cards", it's not written on the card but if you only have 2 cards left in the deck you obviously draw only 2

Wechselbalg

brb
Copycat is basically an errata'd Foul Play/Watch and Learn for the GX era. If you used Foul Play to copy, let's say, a Tortunator GX's Bright Flame with either of these you don't have to discard anything, since neither Foul Play nor Watch and Learn requires fire energy. Based on his logic alone, you can use Copycat to copy Meteor Tempest, but since the attack says you have to discard 3 basic energy you have to discard at least the attack cost of Copycat, but you don't need to have 3 energy attached to Mimikyu. I believe the official ruling is "always do as much as you can".

JGB146

♫♪.ılıl|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lılı.♫♪
Fwiw, I am a judge and TO of the physical card game. Mimikyu can copy any non-GX attack that your opponent used the previous turn, unless the text of the attack states a specific requirement that is not met. But that's not energy requirements, or even discard requirements. Those are secondary parts of the attack which fall under the "do as much as you can" clause. The type of text that would prevent Mimikyu from copying would be text stating "you can only use this attack if..."

FWIW, this is exactly the same as Watch-and-learn Sudowoodo, except that it can't copy GX attacks.