Finished Name That Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

simsands

Half raccoon, half chipmunk
Based on the above, and given that we know there's a Water/Fairy type in the mix, you can figure out that you need a dragon with a secondary type that is week to both fire and electric. But, that's impossible...

In other words, a mistake has been made somewhere. The only thing that PMJ actually hasn't confirmed is the abilities of the previous guess, and as such I have concluded that Marowak does not have Lightning Rod.

So in order to remove both the fire and electric resistance, we need a Dragon/Grass Pokemon with the ability Lightning Rod.

And finally, to deal with our ground immunity, we need a Flying/Bug type from the PU tier. Fortunately, there are only 7 to chose from.

PMJ, we think this is your team:
1: Alolan Marowak
2: Keldeo
3: Miltank

4: Azumarill
5: Mega Sceptile
6: Ninjask

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
The only thing that PMJ actually hasn't confirmed is the abilities of the previous guess

For future reference, I will never confirm abilities. That's the only reason I didn't say anything in terms of Alolan Marowak's specific ability.

Alolan Marowak, Keldeo, Miltank, Azumarill, and Mega Sceptile are all on the team. Ninjask is not.

One guess left.

simsands

So the last one is either Beautifly, Butterfree, Ledian, Masquerain, Mothim or Vespiquen. Anyone wanna take a guess?

NinjaPenguin

Always standing out from the crowd.
Wait a moment. I think PMJ messed up.

Oh I just forgot Thick Fat. Carry on.

Does anyone have any idea of which one of those 6 PMJ likes the best?

P.S. In the future, let's try to not guess ones we've confirmed for our second guess, since we could have guessed 3 more bug types, giving us a much better chance.

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
P.S. In the future, let's try to not guess ones we've confirmed for our second guess, since we could have guessed 3 more bug types, giving us a much better chance.

That is a colossally bad idea. :)

NinjaPenguin

That is a colossally bad idea. :)
Why? We could have still confirmed the Azumarill and Sceptile, while getting to try three more of the 7 bugs in question.

Okay PMJ really likes Ledian. Some Discord quotes of this:
also can we please get a ledian that's good
Ledian is definitely not underrated in terms of skill
also I'm sick and tired of every ledian card being awful
When I was a kid I invented an evolution for ledian

The other ones don't have any mention, besides Butterfree, which he hates on.

You guys cool with me submitting Ledian?

Last edited:

NinjaPenguin

PMJ, we think this is your team:
1: Alolan Marowak
2: Keldeo
3: Miltank

4: Azumarill
5: Mega Sceptile
6: Ledian

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Why? We could have still confirmed the Azumarill and Sceptile, while getting to try three more of the 7 bugs in question.
If you read the OP, all will become clear.

The rest of the team is correct, but Ledian is wrong. Game over.

The correct answer was Beautifly, but I respect that you guys narrowed it down to at least that.

Round 3 will be posted later

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Oh yeah Rule 4 is a thing. Welp nevermind.

This rule was put in place after, in a few early versions of the game, people would guess six obviously wrong Pokemon just to eliminate possibilities. Back then, you got ten guesses instead of three, but I reduced it to three to make the game a little more difficult (since most people were able to decipher it in one or two guesses).

Round 3 is up.

Attix

Electric Delivery Driver from Washington
'aight, let's try again.

Ruleout sheet here.

Based on immunities, a Ghost and a Normal type must be present.
There's a Dragon weakness, so exactly one Dragon-type is present.

Stuff we can instantly chuck:
  • All immunity-granting abilities.
  • All Flying-types.
  • All Steel-types.
  • All Dark-types.
  • All Fairy-types.
  • All Ground-types.
Further ruleouts:
  • No Poison weaknesses, so Grass-types weak to Poison are ruled out.
  • No Ground Resists, so Grass and Bug-types that resist Ground are not possibilities. There is a Rock resist, disregard what I said earlier.

Last edited:

NinjaPenguin

Immunities also tell us that there is exactly one ghost and normal.

What the W/R tells us (at least this many of each group):
Weaknesses
Bug~1 grass/psychic
Dark~2 psychic/ghost
Dragon~1 dragon
Electric~1 water
Fairy~2 fighting/dragon
Fighting~2 normal/ice/rock
Fire~2 grass/ice/bug
Flying~2 grass/fighting/bug
Ghost~2 ghost/psychic
Grass~2 water/rock
Ground~1 fire/electric/poison/rock
Ice~1 grass/dragon
Psychic~1 fighting/poison
Rock~1 fire/ice/bug
Steel~1 ice/bug
Water~2 fire/rock

Resistances

Bug~2 fire/fighting/poison
Dark~1 fighting
Electric~1 electric/grass/dragon
Fairy~1 fire/poison
Fighting~2 poison/psychic/bug
Fire~3 fire/water/rock/dragon/thick fat
Flying~1 electric/rock
Grass~2 fire/grass/poison/bug/dragon
Ice~2 fire/water/ice/thick fat
Normal~1 rock
Poison~2 poison/rock/ghost
Psychic~2 psychic
Rock~1 fighting
Steel~2 fire/water/electric
Water~2 water/grass/dragon

Which means (as a start):
There is a water type that is not part electric, grass, or water.
There is a fighting type that is not part fire or poison. There is also a fighting type that is not part psychic or ghost. There is also a fighting type that is not part fire, ice, or bug. Although these are most likely the same one, I'm still noting them separately.
There is a rock type.
There are two psychic types that are not part fighting, one of which is not weak to ghost. Unless there's a Ghost-Psychic (this assumption applies for the entire rest of the paragraph), it must be psychic-normal, which leaves only Meloetta. Either the ghost or the other psychic type then must be not weak to dark, which leaves only Marshadow. The other psychic type must not be weak to bug, so it would have to be part fire. Which can't exist with the tiers.
So instead there must be a Ghost-Psychic type, which must be Hoopa confined, Lunala, or Dawn Wing Necrozma. The other psychic type therefore cannot be normal type.
Nothing resists ground. That means no grass or bug types not dualtyped with fire, electric, poison, or rock. Due to what Attix said earlier, we can rule out all grass types not grass-poison or grass-rock. Due to the tiers, the only possible grass types are therefore Roserade and Venusaur. The only bug types left are Volcarona and Galvantula.

Attix

Not a real guess, just gonna go through and weed out typings not represented in Ubers, OU, BL, RU and BL3.

There are two psychic types that are not part fighting, one of which is not weak to ghost. Unless there's a Ghost-Psychic (this assumption applies for the entire rest of the paragraph), it must be psychic-normal, which leaves only Meloetta. Either the ghost or the other psychic type then must be not weak to dark, which leaves only Marshadow. The other psychic type must not be weak to bug, so it would have to be part fire. Which can't exist with the tiers.

Victini is in OU.

Last edited:

NinjaPenguin

Welp just realized I thought the sprite of Victini was Braixen. RIP.
Mind if I ask why you eliminated stuff like Bug/Electric?

Attix

Building off of NinjaPenguin's guess that there must be a Fighting-type, between that and us only having 1 Psychic weakness and the Poison resistance most likely being covered by our Rock and Ghost types, this precludes Poison-types. So all Poison-types are out, along with the last non-eliminated user of Thick Fat (Mega Venusaur). Thus, typing is left as our only influencer.

Fighting-type and Dragon-type cannot be the same guy (so no Dragon/Fighting). Our Dragon must be weak to Ice (no Dragon/Water).
Welp just realized I thought the sprite of Victini was Braixen. RIP.
Mind if I ask why you eliminated stuff like Bug/Electric?

Partly just backtracking on thoughts. I'll have to redo the sheet. I was trying to weed out types not represented in these tiers, but messed up.

My reasoning for eliminating Bug/Electric was that we have two Flying weaknesses, one of which is our sole Fighting-type. With Grass-types eliminated, that leaves only Bugs, and only one Bug-type, Volcorona, fits that bill. However, this leaves a snarl since we still have to take care of a Fire weakness, but there are none left by typing. But then I remembered Fluffy exists, and Normal/Fighting hasn't been eliminated, and Bewear is RU so, well, yea.

Last edited:

Attix

I've decided that our team looks like this:
  • Volcorona (OU)
  • Bewear (RU)
  • A Dragon/Psychic type
  • A Ghost/Psychic type
  • A Water type
  • A Rock type
This satisfies all the type matchups. Now we just have to put names on these unknowns. However, there are some complications:
  • Pure Water and Rock types are present in all three tiers.
  • Ghost/Psychics are present in Uber and RU.
  • Dragon/Psychics are present in Uber and OU.
  • Within Ubers, Lunala and Dawn Wings Necrozma are, for all intents and purposes, interchangeable if our Ghost/Psychic is there.
With 2 unknown Ubers and 1 unknown each of OU and RU, we have the following possible combinations:

• Lunala
  • Ultra Necrozma
  • Manaphy
  • Gigalith
  • Lunala
  • Ultra Necrozma
  • Dusk Lycanroc
  • Blastoise/Feraligatr/Milotic
  • Kyogre
  • Arceus-Rock
  • Latios
  • Hoopa
  • Arceus-Water
  • Ultra Necrozma
  • Dusk Lycanroc
  • Hoopa
  • Arceus-Rock
  • Lunala
  • Latios
  • Blastoise/Feraligatr/Milotic
  • Kyogre
  • Ultra Necrozma
  • Dusk Lycanroc
  • Hoopa

So we have to decide which is right... :confused:

simsands

@PMJ Does rule 4 restrict the selections of the first guess? The wording does not indicate it, but your earlier post suggests that this was the intention...

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
In your first guess you don't have any correct Pokemon confirmed so you can make any guess you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.