• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Photon Recharge (Ultra Necrozma GX/Malamar)

momand

Aspiring Trainer
I would drop a single card for a second Parallel City. That's it. The list looks super solid. The overwhelming amount of unnecessary consistency cards like 9 Pokemon search only adds to the speed and output that the deck can do. I would say that you could drop the single Parallel City for a 3rd Field Blower, but you really, really do NOT want to be forced to a bench of 3 to begin with. Personally, I think 2 Choice Band suffices between Beast Energy and almost no dead cards in any situations. To be honest, I'm probably going to play that list for myself.
Yeah, I think that Choice Band can be cut for a second Parallel, and to be honest, I might drop the 4th Inkay for either Mew or the third Parallel.

Nice list. Consider to cut one Inkay for a Mew from Fates Collide to have an answer to Zygarde GX and an alternate non-GX attacker to trade more favorable. Interesting that Altar of the Moone did not work out that well for you since I made the opposite experience in my test runs with this deck.
I'm thinking about cutting the 4th Inkay, as my original list actually ran 3-3 with Mew but no Mimikyu.
If Zygarde GX gets a large amount of gameplay, I actually might opt to run Clefairy over Mimikyu because of its Fairy type and ability to copy its GX attack.

i feel like clefairy might be better than mimikyu in this list simply because it can also copy gx attacks which can make for some very powerful plays. it does take one extra energy, but that shouldn't be an issue with the energy acceleration. it also hits for weakness against opposing ultra necrozmas, which i guess is nice and can be helpful if for some reason you can't otherwise get the knock out (not sure how often that happens though; i haven't tested this deck).

clefairy isn't an alternate to mew though, as that fulfils a different purpose. i think they're both very good in this list, so it's hard to pick one or the other.
The only reason that I would run Clefairy over Mimikyu is if Zygarde GX sees more play and if this deck becomes the next Night March or Gardevoir GX.

Anyway, here are my changes:
-1 Inkay
-1 Choice Band

+1 Mew FCO
+1 Parallel City

Here's my new list (4/27/18):
3x Ultra Necrozma GX
4x Inkay
4x Malamar
1x Tapu Lele GX
1x Dawn Wings Necrozma GX
1x Mew
1x Mimikyu
1x Lunala Prism Star

4x Professor Sycamore
3x Guzma
3x Cynthia
2x N
1x Lillie

4x Ultra Ball
4x Mysterious Treasure
4x Float Stone
3x Field Blower
1x Professor's Letter
1x Super Rod

3x Metal Energy
8x Psychic Energy
1x Beast Energy Prism Star

Last edited:

goca

Aspiring Trainer
Has anyone considered wobbuffet from generations? He fits the deck absurdly well

jperr

Aspiring Trainer
Has anyone considered wobbuffet from generations? He fits the deck absurdly well

i'm not sure wobbuffet goes very well in ultra necrozma/malamar just because it doesn't seem to really align with the general strategy of the deck (it's an aggressive deck, not a stall-y/lock deck), however i have heard mention of another malamar deck that uses regular necrozma (mainly for the gx attack) and wobbuffet for it's attack to finish everything off.

du5k

Aspiring Trainer
What are your thoughts on Ninja Boy?
It's not really relevant anymore but I have won a few games by ninja boying my necrozma's into mimikyu's getting knockouts at the expense of one prize.
Just an idea, not really a good one, but might be a fun tech to try.

momand

Aspiring Trainer
Already tried it, it's not that great or useful since decks like Buzzwole don't really need abilities
What are your thoughts on Ninja Boy?
It's not really relevant anymore but I have won a few games by ninja boying my necrozma's into mimikyu's getting knockouts at the expense of one prize.
Just an idea, not really a good one, but might be a fun tech to try.
Ninja Boy is interesting but overall not really that great in this deck. I'd much rather be using my Supporter for the turn to Guzma one of my opponent's Benched or to draw some cards.

goca

Aspiring Trainer
here is my decklist
insight would be great

3 ultra necrozma gx
4 inkay
4 malamar
1 tapu lele gx
1 DW necrozma gx
1 mew
1 lunala (*)
1 oranguru

4 sycamore
3 n
2 cynthia
1 brigette
3 guzma

4 ultra ball
4 mysterious treasure
3 float stone
2 choice band
2 professors letter
2 field blower
1 super rod

3 metal
8 psychic
1 beast energy (*)

Joe VG

Aspiring Trainer
Hi there! I agree in almost all those cards but I would make some changes. First of all I would only play 2 inkay and 2 malamar as 4 is too much. Then I'd play 3 ultra necrozma, 2 mew, 1 or two oranguru and 2 BW Necrozma. I've played a lot with this deck and I think it's the best option.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Hi there! I agree in almost all those cards but I would make some changes. First of all I would only play 2 inkay and 2 malamar as 4 is too much. Then I'd play 3 ultra necrozma, 2 mew, 1 or two oranguru and 2 BW Necrozma. I've played a lot with this deck and I think it's the best option.
You need a thick Malamar lineup to increase the odds of you having a piece at any time. If you really must trim it down, a 3-3 line or a 4-3 line is best.

Joe VG

Aspiring Trainer
But isn't having 3 malamar in your bench too much? I thought that the best lineup was ultra necrozma as an active pokemon, another ultra necrozma in bench, one oranguru in bench, 2 malamar in bench and a BW necrozma in bench. I'll try having a 3-3 line either way, thanks!

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
But isn't having 3 malamar in your bench too much? I thought that the best lineup was ultra necrozma as an active pokemon, another ultra necrozma in bench, one oranguru in bench, 2 malamar in bench and a BW necrozma in bench. I'll try having a 3-3 line either way, thanks!
You don't try set up all 3 Malamar at once unless you really want that third energy to start OHKOing everything in sight. It's ideal to have 2 on the bench, since 2 Psychic energy + Choice Band and/or Beast energy makes Photon Geyser lethal enough.

Joe VG

Aspiring Trainer
So the third one would be just in case that one of your malamars is a prize card or if your opponent's active pokemon is very tough to kill, right?

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
So the third one would be just in case that one of your malamars is a prize card or if your opponent's active pokemon is very tough to kill, right?
That's right. The extra copies are also insurance in case one goes down.

PlatinumDude

Aspiring Trainer
Then I get it, and would the 2nd BW Necrozma be necessary or no?
Personal preference. Some people run choose to run an extra copy in case one gets prized, while others cut the Dawn Wings count to 1 to make room for other cards.

Joe VG

Aspiring Trainer
Will this deck be in the meta or is just a cool and new deck that against buzzwoles and zoroarks loses all the time? I'd like to build it but I'm not 100% sure if it'll be worth it. I play with it in the tcg online but I'd love to have a real life deck.

Last edited:

goca

Aspiring Trainer
4-4 malamar is mandatory. 3 ultra necrozma same as buzz plays 3 buzzwoles. I really would like to put another DW but theres really no space. And i would rather consider adding another lele or like mimikyu or even wobbuffet from GEN.

Laurier_Ex

Ninja master
Will this deck be in the meta or is just a cool and new deck that against buzzwoles and zoroarks loses all the time? I'd like to build it but I'm not 100% sure if it'll be worth it. I play with it in the tcg online but I'd love to have a real life deck.

This deck will be everywhere in Standard. Ive been told it is a close 50-50 against Buzzhole and i guess that it can also keep up with Zoroark-Gx. Somewhat consistent given the Mysterious Treasure card. This deck will probably be tier 1 for a while alongside the usual Buzzwole-Gx, Zoroark-Gx, Zygarde-Gx decks.

Joe VG

Aspiring Trainer
This deck will be everywhere in Standard. Ive been told it is a close 50-50 against Buzzhole and i guess that it can also keep up with Zoroark-Gx. Somewhat consistent given the Mysterious Treasure card. This deck will probably be tier 1 for a while alongside the usual Buzzwole-Gx, Zoroark-Gx, Zygarde-Gx decks.
Ok, I thought it would be more like a cool archetype and nothing more but seeing that it can 50-50 a buzzwole deck I believe it will actually be on of the best decks right now.
By the way I have a non-related question with this thread but if you could answer it I would be very grateful. Are WCD cards legal in standard format?

goca

Aspiring Trainer
Wc cards arent legal for tournaments, but maybe the tourney leader in your local shop lets people play a small amount of wc cards per deck

momand

Aspiring Trainer
Assuming the anticipated release of SM45 Tapu Lele will be coming soon, I have come up with an interesting set of cards to use in this deck: Necrozma GX and Tapu Lele.

Not only is Necrozma GX good for its Prismatic Burst attack, dealing a quick 190 for 3 Psychic Energy, OHKOing the likes of Ultra Necrozma, but we can also use it for its Black Ray GX attack. The strategy here is to Black Ray and then Magical Swap around damage, KOing Pokemon like Zoroark, Buzzwole or Lycanroc, while retaining our usual strategy, or possibly using Black Ray GX against Ultra Necrozma, and then moving the damage over to Malamars to completely stop their strategy altogether.

Since it's only 2 cards, it shouldn't be too difficult to put in.