Prerelease Kits To Be Sold in Stores: 'Build & Battle' Kits!

Rocket The Shellos

Aspiring Trainer
I've seen smaller stores sell them for $35 AUD if they have leftovers after prerelease. If they (hopefully/probably) retail for less than that over here they won't be happy.

Dinell Holmes

Aspiring Trainer
Here's where this is a problem: League leaders / Stores will take a decent hit on PreRelease attendance and may not continue PreReleases if you can just pick up the stuff on day of. They should've delayed these a very large amount after each PreRelease season.

I run PreReleases and this could be kinda devastating to my league. No more PTOs, League Challenges are a joke, League Cups becoming more and more toxic, and now this? Whats left for a person who wants to run event to get out of it other than generic satisfaction?

The less a leader or store is incentivized to make money, the less Pokemon events there will be. Have fun with mini events at home I guess though. -_-

Zzrrdd

Aspiring Trainer
Don't know how to feel about this. It will be a nice starter kit for new players, however it takes away a lot of the exclusivity of going to a prerelease and getting an exclusive promo plus new packs early. This will hurt prerelease attendance, however we do still get the cards earlier at prereleases which is a big part of the appeal

Shishigami

Aspiring Trainer
Pokémon. Putting themselves and capitalism above the community that made them what they are today. This change would be more efficent for then but will destroy the market worth for tournament prelease cards. Great as a collector, although not so much if you're a seller.

PatchampYoutuber

Aspiring Trainer
Ok im sorry but I feel this is an awful idea:

1: It will hit PreRelease Event Attendance, which for smaller leagues will be devastating (people wont feel obliged to attend an event because they will get something special in the form of the promo)

2: It will devalue the promo cards. Their worth will drop dramatically as they will become more massed produced

3: It discredits loyalty of dedicated players and collectors who seek something special when a set is released

I'm really interested in what you guys think about this decision by TPCI?

Im even tempted to make a video on youtube on this and its not usually my area to critique stuff like this in my videos

Pat

HouchinsDJ

Aspiring Trainer
I hate this so much, these promos are supposed to be for the real dedicated fans

Ok im sorry but I feel this is an awful idea:

1: It will hit PreRelease Event Attendance, which for smaller leagues will be devastating (people wont feel obliged to attend an event because they will get something special in the form of the promo)

2: It will devalue the promo cards. Their worth will drop dramatically as they will become more massed produced

3: It discredits loyalty of dedicated players and collectors who seek something special when a set is released

I'm really interested in what you guys think about this decision by TPCI?

Im even tempted to make a video on youtube on this and its not usually my area to critique stuff like this in my videos

Pat

I don’t understand how going to a prerelease makes you a “real dedicated” fan/player. So if you don’t go to prereleases then you’re not a dedicated player? Not sure I see the logic there.

There’s no evidence at the moment that proves that this will impact attendance. You’re assuming that people go to prereleases only for the promos, and I’m sure the promos are a part of it, but certainly not the sole reason. Being able to get your hands on the new cards before they’re released is, in my opinion, the biggest draw to prereleases and these boxes don’t change that considering they’re not being released early.

Also, the value of the prerelease promos have never been high to begin with. The market has become so saturated.

paulyd84

cooltrainerpaul
This will be final nail in coffin for pokemon prerelease near me, 2 events now have pokemon parties where you buy kit and encouraged to stay and play but no one does... Sad move for pokemon making Promos even more and more run of the mill - might as well just make a 'promo' set for each year and push out booster bundles of it instead..

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
Thank gosh now my friends and I don't have to pay $40 to go to a prerelease. Now we can just by it for $20 and have a few mini battles. Gonna be fun!;)

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
I do think it is sad though because it kinda takes the fun out of a PRERELEASE because knowing that the promos won't really be special is annoying.

Kent Freeze

Aspiring Trainer
I don't think this will impact my lgs prerelease tournaments that much -- yes, this is $5 cheaper than the prerelease tourney, but the tourney also gives out a couple packs for prizes. Plus, I feel like most (all?) people at the prerelease events are there for the fun of exploring the new set, which won't be changed by the release of this product.

Sparkeagle

Aspiring Trainer
Well it depends on how much they'll be in Canada, otherwise it doesn't really take a hit on us